The Electrical Installation Systems and Maintenance course is aimed at producing Electricians who are relevant to the industry and world of work. It is trainee-centred and practical-based. It emphasizes acquisition of skills by the trainees, through practical learning, projects and Innovation as well as industrial training offered at the end of each academic year.
The course produces professionals who are capable of:
- Programming and troubleshooting industrial automation systems and carrying out electrical installation.
- Designing, drawing and interpreting electrical circuits and drawings.
- Repairing and maintaining electrical and electronic appliances/equipment.
- Erecting, installing and maintaining transmission and distribution power lines.
- Installing and maintaining a solar power systems.
- Initiating and managing small business enterprises.
The course emphasizes the following aspects of learning:
- Competence-Based Training Approach.
- Real Life Practical Assignments with supporting modules.
- Integrated Education (knowledge, skills, and positive attitude)
- Innovation and Initiative (learning to solve problems that one has never encountered).
- Upward Mobility and Concentric Curriculum.
- Environment, Health and Safety considerations.
- Communication skills
- A graduate of National Certificate in Electrical Installation Systems and Maintenance may be employed in the following Organizations:
- Manufacturing / production, processing and service industries both in the private and public sector.
- Power generation, transmission and construction projects.
- Construction companies, public works department and rural development agencies
- Oil and gas industries.
- Self-employment in installation and maintenance.
Academic Career Prospects
National Certificate in Electrical Installation Systems and Maintenance graduates may opt to further their skills and education by offering a diploma and eventually a degree in any of the following Engineering fields:
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
- Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering.
- Diploma in Electronics.
- Diploma in Any Other Related Course/ Program.
- Any related bachelor’s degree on fulfilling the mature age entry requirements
To be admitted to this course, the applicant must have completed and attained the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) with at-least passes in English, Physics, Mathematics, and any other science subjects or at-least a pass in the Uganda Junior Technical Certificate.
Meet the Head of Department